1)take a rain check改天吧
Model: [1998.8.北美(29)]
Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上来吃饭怎么样?)
I'm up to my ears in work, so I'll have to take a rain check.(我工作非常忙,改日吧。)
2)lost count弄不了解
Model: [2000.1.(21)]
Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自从你的女朋友搬到Bridgeport,你总是开车去看她。一周去几次啊?)
I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不了解了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。)
3)be in another world精神恍惚;魂不守舍
Model: [1996.5.(25)]
Pete's really out of it these days.(Pete这几天有点心神不定。)
Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he's been in another world.(我赞同。自从他遇到Ann,他就魂不守舍了。)
4)make yourself at home随便,随意
Model: [1999.8.(7)]
Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你在意我脱下夹克吗?)
Of course not, make yourself at home.(当然不在意,随便一点!)
5)save your breath省口气吧;别白费口舌了
Model: [1995.10.(14)]
Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)
Save your breath1. He's out of earshot.(省口气吧。他已经听不到了。)
6)make sense有意义,理解 Model: [1999.1.(29)]
The plot2 of that movie is hard to follow.(那部电影的情节非常难跟得上。)
It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)
7)cosplayt sb. an arm and a leg很昂贵
Model: [1999.1.(4)]
Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送给Linda的钻戒了吗?)
I sure did. It must have cosplayt him an arm and a leg.(当然了。那肯定非常昂贵。)
8) burn a hole in one's pocket非常快地被花光
Model: [1997.10 ]
Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攒足钱给你的电脑买一台新打印机了吗?)
You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (这几个月我烧钱如流水。或许下个月吧。)
9)fill one's shoes非常不错地顶替;让人认可地替代
Model: [1997.8.]
Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你听说Jones教授要退休了吗?)
Yes. The faculty3 won't find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。学校将非常难找到适合的人来代替她。)
10)is ice cold表示理所当然
Model: [1995.10.]
Does Prof. Ford4 always come to class? (Ford教授一直来上课吗?)
Is ice cold? (当然了。)
11)like apples and oranges用来表示没办法相比的事物
Model: [1997.1.]
Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge?(你觉得桥牌和象棋什么更难学?)
They are like apples and oranges. (它两个没法比较。)
12)look for a needle in a hay5 stack6大海捞针
Model: [1990.1.]
We are supposed to meet John here at the train station. (大家要在火车站接John.)
That's like looking for a needle in a hay stack .(那可真是大海捞针。)
13)lose one's train of忘记
Model: [1995.1.]
When you interrupted7 me, you made me lose my train of thought. (你打断了我的考虑,我忘记我在想什么了。)
14)meet each other half way相互妥协,让步